Agricultural Animal Care and Use Committee
The AACUC is charged with facilitating centralized, uniform and high quality oversight of the institution's agricultural animal care program.
- To make recommendations regarding the development and implementation of institutional policies and procedures to facilitate support and monitor the humane and appropriate use of animals in agricultural research and teaching as well as any other aspect of the agricultural animal care program.
- To review and approve or disapprove protocols and other proposed activities, or proposed significant changes in activities, related to agricultural animal care.
- To appoint representatives as deemed appropriate to conduct, at least twice per year, an inspection of agricultural animal facilities and study areas, to review the overall agricultural animal care and use program, and to provide a written report to the Dean of Agriculture and Director of the Agricultural Experiment Station, the director of the individual program that provides agricultural animal care, the Provost and the President.
- To investigate concerns, complaints or reports of non-compliance involving agricultural animals at the facilities.
- To suspend an activity involving agricultural animals when it is not in compliance with approved protocols or written operating procedures.
- To make recommendations regarding the development and implementation of institutional policies and procedures to facilitate, support, and monitor the humane and appropriate use of animals in agricultural research and teaching as well as nay other aspect of the agricultural animal care program.
- To perform other functions as may be required by institutional need and by applicable laws, regulations and policies.
AACUC membership must include the following: scientist; animal, dairy or poultry specialist; veterinarian; non-scientist (on-campus); community member; and any other members as requirec by institutional laws, regulations and/or policies.
|Don Kress||Chair||Professor Emeritus|
|Jane Ann Boles||Member||Faculty - Animal and Range Sciences|
|Darrin Boss||Member||Faculty - Research Centers|
|Benfang Lei||Member||Faculty - Microbiology and Immunology|
|Racquel Lindroth||Member||DVM, Faculty - WIMU|
|John Siefert||Member||Faculty - Health and Human Development|
|Animal Activities that require AACUC Review|
U.S. Public Health Service (PHS) Policy defines animal as “any live, vertebrate animal used or intended for use in research, research training, experimentation, or biological testing or for related purposes.”
Federal regulations and Montana State University policy require that all activities involving the use of agricultural animals (e.g., research, testing or teaching), must be reviewed and approved by the Agricultural Animal Care and Use Committee (AACUC). Examples of animal use include:
|Federal Regulations and Guidance||MSU Animal Operations Policies|
Protocol Submission and Review
The AACUC accepts research protocols and/or protocol modifications anytime for review.
The PI should submit the completed form to AACUC staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. The file can be in the original Word 2007 format or in PDF format.
AACUC will review the protocols and the PI should expect to hear from the committee chair within three weeks.
The AACUC does not hold independent meetings aside from those held by the Intitutional Animal Care and Use Committee. Those meeting times can be found in the table below. For agendas and minutes, please contact the IACUC.
|All meetings in Norm Asbjornson Hall 359 unless stated otherwise.|
|October 21, 2020|
|November 18, 2020|
|December 16, 2020|
This page last updated: September 23, 2020.